Thursday, May 22, 2008

Catching up on food

My old nemesis from the first week of the trip returned--the wind. In Nebraska of course. There were tornadoes not too far from where I was in Colorado, so at least so far I have avoided anything that bad. Otherwise I took the drive pretty easy today. The wind ruined the excellent mileage I've been getting--most of the trip I've been getting 44 mpg but today that didn't happen, naturally once gas prices did in fact hit four bucks at one station.

Well, this entry is mostly to announce I made it to Omaha and am planning on visiting the zoo tomorrow before driving across Iowa. Also, I ate at Red Lobster tonight. When I was a kid that is where we would go for nice meals out and I have very fond memories of the place. The cheddar biscuits make it worthwhile. For most of the trip I tried to find locally owned restaurants, and was mostly successful. But I've succumbed to chain restaurants the last two days. Some of the places I ate at I barely mentioned earlier or didn't mention at all:

Local Ocean Seafoods in Newport: fish caught fresh daily from Newport or nearby. They have great fish tacos.

Georgie's Beachside Grill: It was connected to my hotel in Newport, but had a great ocean view and pretty solid seafood, especially the clam chowder. The places was always full of locals which was good because it wasn't just tourists in there. They have great pancakes and french toast too.

Baked Alaska in Astoria: I had a simple salmon club sandwich that was great, but the best thing here (besides the view of the Columbia River) was the sweet potato salad.

Urban Cafe in Astoria: The crab quesadilla was delicious. The only thing it wasn't that long after this meal I got sick; I guess it depends on the incubation period, but it is possible it was this meal that made me sick. Oh well, it tasted great! I'll just assume it was something else that made me sick. Probably the vast amount of free cheese I ate at Tillamook.

Tequila's Mexican Restaurant in Cortez Colorado: really popular local joint with great food. The pinto beans I ordered instead of refried beans were great, as was the chile relleno. Great salsa too. Highly recommend.

Rosita's in Scottsbluff: I already mentioned this place for the chips and salsa. I should mention not to go here if you are on a diet, but it was great food.

The Thai restaurant I ate at in Portland: I cannot remember the name, it was a little hole in the wall place mostly doing carryout orders, but it was delicious, especially the spring rolls. Also the Thai restaurant in Astoria is outstanding as well.

Out of the brewpubs I visited, Tablerock in Boise and Bridgeport in Portland stand out. I went to Rogue Ales in Newport, but hated the atmosphere. It was smoky--too smoky--and the people in there were all kind of rude. Beer is great though. Maybe I picked a bad day to go there.

No comments: