Saturday, May 3, 2008

Wyoming

First, one last picture of Scottsbluff National Monument from the hotel parking lot:



Needless to say, the weather was much better today. I had a beautiful drive through Wyoming with several stops along the way. I'm also tired and not thrilled to be in Rock Springs WY, but I needed to stop for the night. The town mostly consists of oil workers and road construction.

So the day started off at Ft. Laramie. The buildings are all restored, not simply reproduced, and they provided a nice audio tour of all the buildings and grounds. Most of the exhibits focus on the period from 1870-1890, with some trails stuff as well. There were also nice views of the Laramie River:





Also a couple of rabbits (click on the photo to be sure to see them):



From there it was on to Guernsey. I actually was able to see the Guernsey Ruts--pretty impressive:



I visited Register Cliffs too, but it was pretty boring. Mostly modern day graffiti that was not all that interesting.

I stopped at several other views/markers before getting on 1-25 and heading towards Casper. The drive was especially pretty because of the snow in the mountains. I did not stop in Casper, though there were a couple of museums that might have been worth the time but I was in the mood for the open road, not a city. The drive from Casper to Rock Springs was amazing. Here are a few highlights:











Along the way I saw a number of landmarks, including Independence Rock, Devil's Gate, Split Rock, South Pass, and a few others it seems. I also saw some wild horses! It was a really great drive, but I don't have much else to say about it. Tomorrow driving to Boise Idaho. Going to a long day! Last long drive for a while though.

Link to all pictures:

Wyoming

No comments: