Wednesday, March 17, 2010

White Sands!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2731796&id=2260239&l=83f3ff5920

Links to photos above! White Sands was amazing. Last time I visited I did not have much time to hike, so I got there in the morning and took two hikes. One was an easy nature trail, though I met two retired men on the hike that made for fun hiking companions. They had actually heard of both Macalester and Earlham and thought it was awesome I was taking a trip by myself.

After that hike, I decided to try to hike the Alkali Flats Trail. It is 4.5 miles leading deep into the dunes. I completed the whole trail in about two hours. It was beautiful. There were a few other people before me on the trail, but it was very peaceful and I definitely enjoyed the solitude. I'm very glad I did it! Most of the pictures are on this trail. They might all look alike, but every view was a little different. None of the pictures really describe the depth of the dunes.

After that, I drove to Silver City. Despite drinking lots and lots of water I think I was a little dehydrated. I ate at Jalisco's which I thought was very good. The guacamole with jalapenos especially stands out! The food was spicy which is a nice change of pace from the Midwest. I drove around town, but then unfortunately needed to get back to the hotel to feed my Lost addiction. Decent episode but I just want it to be over.

Gila Cliff Dwellings today!


No comments: