Thursday, March 18, 2010

Curious Kumquat!

I had the most wonderful meal tonight. Serendipity may be the right word to describe my ending up there. After a wonderful day outdoors, I was hungry and in my hotel room contemplating getting delivery or take out. The hotel info guide had an ad for the Curious Kumquat, which advertised "hot dinners to go." Perfect, carryout that would not be Chinese or pizza. So I called because it was near their closing time according to the ad. As it turned out, they did not have meals to go, but they had meals to eat in. The person on the phone sounded nice so I thought why not eat out tonight? Not what I planned, but I didn't want cheap Mexican or American.

So I dined at the Curious Kumquat, and was delighted. They use only local foods from what I understand so their menu no doubt will constantly change. The meal was prix fixe and well worth the price; I have paid more for mediocre food which is always frustrating, but when a meal is excellent, I enjoy splurging. I chose the pork belly blue corn tacos as my main dish. The first item brought out was bread, butter, and olives. Really good olives. Next was avocado ice cream with Mesquite blini (I think I'm spelling that right). All I can say again is delicious. Also there was amuse bouche - parsley sugar disc with local bee pollen and lavender(I stole that description from the chef's blog.) Next was the chimayo soup which the server said was sort of like a squash soup. Whatever it was, I loved it. Then came the tacos. The pork is cooked sous-vide which I won't explain, but hopefully wikipedia gets it close enough: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide. The blue corn tortillas I believe are made in house. Other than not being quite sure how to eat these and I kind of made a mess, I was very very happy with this entree. The crema avocado that accompanied the tacos especially stood out.
Then, the dessert! A warm chocolate cake. Yum.

The service was wonderful, and it turned out there was an Earlham connection as one of the servers/owners was an ESR graduate! Small world.

Actually you can see pictures of some of the food at the chef's blog: http://blogquat.blogspot.com/

What a wonderful meal and totally unexpected! Yes, I'm a terrible restaurant reviewer, but this place was great!

I spent the morning at City of Rocks State Park climbing around on rocks. Awesome. Then I grabbed lunch at a vegetarian deli which was very good, and headed back into the Gila Wilderness to the Catwalk. It's a beautiful area, although part of the Catwalk was inaccessible due to a bridge being replaced. I think I'd like to come spend a week or so in this area and try some of the tougher hikes in the Gila Wilderness. I'm finding Silver City very friendly.

I will get pictures posted later.

1 comment:

Gfron1 said...

Oh - we should have asked where you were going and we could have warned you about the repairs at the catwalk. Anyway I'm sure you appreciated the beautiful drive. And thanks for stopping in, and I'm glad the meal was enjoyable - it was one of our first nights open - hence the incorrect info at the hotel.