Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Big Bend Day 1 Pictures:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2734769&id=2260239&l=f739972cca

My first day I planned on doing most of the easy trails and get orientated to the park. First, I love Big Bend and want to go spend a couple of weeks in the area sometime. I also enjoyed staying at Upstairs at the Mansion, and I will post pictures later of staying there along with a more detailed description!

I started at Rio Grande Village, as it was windy and dare I say cold, and in theory that part of the park would be warmer than the mountains. I took the nature trail thinking it would be an easy introduction, but it involved a nice climb to the top of a hill for a great view of the Rio Grande. I was able to walk down to the bank too and I got way off the trail and had trouble finding my way back. I did NOT enter Mexico.

After that, I took the Boquillas Canyon Trail which was easy and pretty. Lots of Mexican selling things on this trail.

Then, I drove to the other side of the park for two more hikes: Tuff Canyon and Santa Elena. Tuff Canyon was easy and fun, and Santa Elena Canyon was definitely the highlight of the day. As you drive towards it, all you can see is this massive, towering canyon wall and it is very humbling. The hike is short, but beautiful.

This is a lame entry, more later.

No comments: