Thursday, November 6, 2008

Mothman Prophecies

I am breaking some rule of blogging by having no focus for my blog (travel? work? random stuff? movie reviews?) but I have a need to report on the movie I watched last night. It was called The Mothman Prophecies and Richard Gere and Laura Linney starred.

Perhaps I chose this movie from Netflix to raise my geek profile; internet quizzes point to me being a pure nerd rather than geek. I remember reading a story about the Mothman legend in sixth grade language arts, and it always haunted me. Thus, I rented this movie hoping to learn more about the legend's origins. I have a genuine interest in unexplained phenomena and the cultural explanations for these. However, this movie was an X Files wannabe. If Mulder and Scully were in it, it would have been fine. Gere and Linney had no chemistry and failed miserably (not that they were trying to emulate the X Files, just an obvious comparison in my opinion). It had great atmospheric music and cinematography and production values. But you never had any sort of idea of what the Mothman was or why anything was happening. It needed more shots of a man in a giant moth costume, in my opinion. I will give it credit for the last 25 minutes were genuinely gripping but the rest of this movie just had a bunch of confused people walking around.

The real Mothman legend came from Point Pleasant West Virginia, where reports of a mothman preceded a bridge collapse in which 46 people died. They have a statue of the Mothman in their downtown, so I may go visit it someday. They also have the world's only Mothman Museum. Road trip.

5 comments:

Rafia! said...

BREAK THE BLOGGING RULES ANNE!

Rafia! said...

Also, why must it be geek VERSUS nerd? Why can't we exist in harmony? WHY ANNE WHY???

Rafia! said...

Also, I am picturing a movie featuring GIANT MOTH, and I am picturing someone in a (less than convincing) costume in a retro Japanese monster movie, and am thus not intimidated.

Anne said...

You would not have been intimidated if you saw this movie, which occasionally had flashes of a red moth, but mostly the mothman would call Richard Gere and talk in a strange voice.

We can blame the quizzes on this battle between geek versus nerd! They are forcing us to choose an identity!

Rafia! said...

IT IS A FALSE DICHOTOMY, ANNE! ..we MUST resist!!!!!